Alright ya’ll… it’s time for another SELF-LOVE CHALLENGE! During the month of February we always celebrate love. You give others so much love… why not give yourself some too?
I’ve prepared one small challenge for every day of this month. Complete each challenge and just watch how appreciation for your mind, body, and spirit increases. How do I know this works? Because I’ve tried every single task and they’ve worked wonders for me. When I started doing these things daily my self-confidence drastically changed for the better, my appreciation for my body increased tenfold, and I began to LOVE myself. If you could benefit at all from body-positivity, self-appreciation, and/or self-love then this challenge is for YOU!
Listed below are mantras (bolded) and action steps for each day. Say the mantra to yourself in the mirror each morning and complete the action step at some point during the day. I’ve made sure to keep each task simple and (mostly) short because I know how busy life can be. However, I also know that we must love ourselves to really get anything done in this world.
- I fill my body with confidence every day. Look yourself in the mirror and say three things you love about yourself. These can be physical, mental, or spiritual.
- I am at peace with what has happened, what is happening, and what will happen. Write down a list of everything that is on your mind today. Next, note which thoughts are from the past, present, and future. Science has shown that typically, when our thoughts are more focused on the past we tend to be depressed. When our thoughts are more focused on the future we tend to be anxious. When our thoughts are more focused on the present we tend to be happiest. Accept that you cannot change what has happened and you cannot predict what will happen. The only thing you can control is the present moment! Let’s make the most of it.
- I choose to treat my body with care, love, kindness, and respect. Eat a healthy meal with lots of nutrients today. (I’ve linked a few of my favorites here, here, and here.) I also LOVE roasting fresh vegetables in olive oil and salt + pepper for a meal. I roast broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, bell peppers, onions, and anything else I have in my fridge! Top those roasted veggies with some hummus and VOILA!
- I live a wholesome, generous life. Do something nice for someone without seeking recognition. Of course, recognition can be satisfying, but if our heart is in a generous place we shouldn’t need recognition. Do something nice just to be nice!
- I embrace my age with joy and pride. Not everyone is lucky enough to live to your same age. Write down one reason you’re thankful for you current age.
- I have been given endless talents and I choose to use them today. Use one (or a few) of your talents. Can you play the piano? Can you make someone laugh? Can you sense when someone needs an extra pick-me-up? Put your talents to good use.
- I love my face and all my features. We each have unique features. While you’re getting ready today, name 3 things you love about your face.
- I honor my boundaries. Say “no” to something today. Turn down an extra work shift if you’ve been working so much you aren’t staying sane. Turn down a night out if your body is overly exhausted and needs some rest. Turn down buying another shirt from your favorite online shop if you don’t absolutely love it. Honor the boundaries you have set for yourself! Or if you haven’t set specific boundaries, create boundaries and write them down.
- I move my body with intention and love. Exercise today in a way that you love. Yoga, running, stretching? YOU’VE GOT THIS! 💪🏻
- I keep my head up and my heart open. Allow yourself to see someone without judgement today. I’ve learned that there isn’t a person on this earth I wouldn’t love if I knew their whole story. Truthfully, we have no idea what most people are going through.
- I am worthy of love and respect. Follow someone on social media that inspires you today. A few of my favorites are Hailey Devine (@haileydevine), Jordan Dooley (@jordanleedooley), and Sadie Jane Sabin (@simplysadiejane). YOU are worthy of love and respect from others AND from yourself! Life isn’t perfect and neither are you. But you’re doing the best you can! And guess what… your very best IS good enough. I feel like so many of us look at social media and sometimes allow the numbers and photos we do or don’t have define our worth. Just because someone has 10 million followers and you only have 10 does not mean they’re superior to you. Just because someone takes beautiful photos does not mean that your life isn’t beautiful too. YOU are worthy of love and respect, just the way you are!
- My life is full of thanks and giving. Write down a minimum of 5 things you are thankful for today. See how many you can think of! I tried this a few weeks ago and I ended up writing for a half hour nonstop. You’ll be surprised how quickly the items you’re thankful for start coming at you… it’s almost overwhelming!
- I am at peace with my body and form. I cannot stop my body from changing. Instead of judging and comparing yourself today, PRAISE yourself. We are each built in a unique way. Each body is different and that’s okay! In fact, it should be celebrated! Whether you are tall, small, skinny, or curvy know that YOU have an amazing body. Today (and every day), let’s celebrate the things our body allows us to do.
- I delight in taking care of my body when it needs healing and recovery. Relax for an extra 5 minutes today. Take a bath, sleep in, stretch!
- I appreciate life more today than I did yesterday. Write a thank-you card and deliver it today. This can be signed or (my personal favorite) anonymous. A positive word can change someone’s day, but a positive message can change someone’s life! You have so much power to make someone feel loved!
- I am taking steps to make my dreams a reality. You know that one item that’s been on your to-do list for what feels like a million days? Today’s the day you’re going to do it. Clean out the pantry, make time to exercise, cook the meal, run the errand, make the phone call. You can do it!
- Others are thinking positively about me. Smile at a stranger. Too often we underestimate the power of a smile. One smile may not change the world, but it may change one person’s world.
- I listen to my body’s needs and respond with love and respect. Check out how your body is feeling today and respond. This can be completing a killer workout when your body feel full of energy, putting the fork down when your stomach is satisfied, or even smiling when your body needs to (not just when you want to). Here‘s a recent post I created to help us take a moment to LISTEN to our body.
- I find peace within myself and the things that immediately surround me. Turn OFF your cell phone for an entire day (or put it on airplane mode) this week. If you can’t do an entire day start small with just one hour. “Live in the moment and be present in all that you do. Don’t worry yourself with what happened yesterday or what’s going to happen tomorrow. Stay focused with what’s in front of you.” -Michael Trevino
- I am comfortable asking for help when I need it. Reach out and ask someone for help. It can be with something smaller like the dishes or even with something bigger like overcoming a serious trial.
- I make space for success to enter my life. Close your eyes for a moment and think of one of your biggest dreams. Imagine the sight, sound, smell, taste, and touch of your dream. Now, think of the excuse you’ve been making as to why you can’t accomplish that dream. Take a deep breath and release that excuse. It no longer exists! Quit making excuses. Get out and do it!
- I am in control of my happiness. Do something that makes you happy today. This can be watching a funny movie, listening to your favorite song, going out with your special someone, etc. I’ve talked about happiness countless times over the last few months because I’ve come to truly believe that happiness IS a choice. I’m not saying it’s easy, in fact, the choice can be SO hard. There are so many times where I just want to be stubborn and stay upset at whatever is bothering me. But what’s the point? Being unhappy doesn’t serve anyone. “You either have to laugh or cry. I prefer to laugh. Crying gives me a headache.” -Marjorie Hinckley
- I choose forgiveness today and every day. Choose to forgive someone today. Holding a grudge may be the easier thing to do, but it certainly doesn’t serve anyone. When we choose to hold a grudge we’re denying ourselves the opportunity we have to feel happy. Maybe someone really screwed something up for you. That’s hard! But here’s the thing… we are all human and we are all trying our very best. My best may not be the same as your best. Your best may not be the same as your neighbor’s best. Your neighbors best may not be the same as your mom’s best. We each have different life experiences, genes, and challenges that shape us into who we are. Give someone a break and release that weight from yourself. Today, choose forgiveness.
- No matter what happens today, I remember that I am beautiful, powerful, and wise. Stand tall with good posture and your head up today! Life comes at us full force sometimes. When it rains it pours, in bad times AND in good times. No matter what life throws at you today remember that YOU are beautiful, powerful, and wise.
- I know that emotions are not who I am, they’re what I feel. Take a deep breath. I teach patients I work with a technique called “Square Breathing” to help them calm emotions during stressful situations. I want you to try it today! Square breathing works like this: inhale for 4 seconds, hold for 4 seconds, exhale for 4 seconds, hold for 4 seconds. This technique helps us to take a step back when big emotions appear. It allows us to lower our heart rate and think more clearly.
- I am surrounded by positive beings that help me become my best self. Call or text a friend and let them know they’ve positively impacted your life. Tell them how they’ve changed you for the better and why you appreciate it.
- I live in the present and make mindful decisions. Take 5 minutes (minimum) to meditate or be mindful today. My favorite way to do this is using an app called “Smiling Mind”. It’s FREE and there are guided meditations of all different lengths for all different ages available!
- I give myself permission to love myself as I am right now. No matter my age, shape, size, or color. I AM BEAUTIFUL! Do something today that helps you feel beautiful. Anything goes!
THANK YOU for participating in this self-love challenge! I truly believe that when we love ourselves we are able to give love to others. I believe that we can become our best selves just by listening, responding, and appreciating who we are. When you participate in this challenge, please post a picture on social media with the hashtag #buildyourbeautiful so other’s can see how we are changing the world, one self-love movement at a time! xo
Amazing! Can we repost?
Sure! Please credit myself as the author and my blog as the original publication. 💕